Mullins House Centenary Projects
Situated some distance from the centre of the campus and known as ‘The Republic of Mullins’, Mullins House has been home to over 1500 boys for one hundred years.
The Mullins House / Knowling Field precinct of the campus has enjoyed several wonderful recent developments all of which have contributed to the upliftment of this part of campus, and to Mullins House.
The recent installation of flood lights on Knowling Field is poised to accommodate some entertaining evenings of sport fixtures in future, while the development of the Climbing Gym in the old Mullins House squash court adds a whole new focus to sporting opportunities at College.
The lights on Knowling Field will allow for night games to take place.
The newly renovated squash court is now a state-of-the-art Climbing Centre.
In addition, our grounds staff are currently hard at work giving the House a much-needed coat of paint.
Mullins House Enhancements Project
To complete the beautification and upliftment of the Mullins House precinct on campus, we are delighted to offer Old Andreans and parents of Mullins House boys the opportunity to contribute to some additional enhancements and to Leave Your Mark at Mullins House as part of the Centenary celebrations.
There are two specific components to the Mullins House Enhancements Project:
Palisade fencing along Worcester Street
The security and overall image of Mullins House will be greatly improved by the construction of a palisade fence which will mirror and complement the fencing on the Lower Field side of Worcester Street.
Mullins House Old Andreans are rest assured that the historical JS George gate and plaque, and the old stone wall at the entrance to the House, will be retained in the design.
The upgrade of the Mullins House tennis court
Council gave approval for the Mullins House tennis court to be built in 1920 using £110 from the income from the tuck shop. In 1973 John Axe, in his capacity as Housemaster of Mullins, raised money for the Arthur Knowling Tennis Court to be resurfaced.
Numerous Mullins and Espin boys have enjoyed the use of tennis courts adjacent to their houses. After the recent successful upgrade of the Espin House tennis court in to multi-use facility, it is now the turn for the current Mullins House boys to enjoy a similar facility.
The tennis court will be upgraded with an appropriate surface on which markings for basketball, hockey/football and cricket will be presented. New galvanized and fencing and wooden poles will be erected around the court.
The Mullins House Centenary Bursary Fund
Every year, St Andrew’s College awards scholarship and bursaries to over 30% of our boys.
The funding for these awards is derived from both income from endowed funds and donations gifted by generous individuals, foundations and companies to College on an annual basis.
There is a continual need for additional bursary funding at College, and the Mullins House Centenary Bursary Fund, depending on the overall amount raised, will support numerous deserving boys in the future.
The Mullins House Centenary Bursary will offer 50% of the tuition and boarding fees for the full five years that the deserving boys will attend College. Candidates will apply via the established bursary application process at St Andrew’s College, and the bursary will be awarded to families who are in genuine need of financial support. The successful candidates will be boys who show a sound work ethic, who actively participate in school and other activities, and who demonstrate sound moral principles. The recipients will be allocated to Mullins House.
The number of boys that can be awarded the Mullins House Centenary Bursary depends on the amount donated to this worthy cause. All donations gifted towards this critical project will be invested until the funds are required.
Examples of the number of boys on 50% funding and their start dates that various potential donation amounts raised will support are reflected below: